Wednesday, July 16, 2008

We Can Do It

That's it - we have reached my level of saturation on the bad news front. The media's constant rehashing is not helping any of our problems one iota: the war, stock market plunges, layoffs, inflation, gas prices, housing decline, foreclosures, our leadership, and the list goes on and on. Enough with the Pollyanna sky is falling. Yes things are bad, awful even - but enough already or we are all going to wind up in an asylum.
I am on a one woman crusade: I am burying my head in the sand like the wise ostrich. For better or worse I have stopped watching the news today.
If you have read or heard of The Secret or the Law of Attraction you know that the philosophy is the more we dwell on the negative the less able we are to accept or bring forward the positive. Focusing on the ills of the world does not seem to be making one bit of change for the better. We have been let down, that's true - It's time we each roll up our sleeves and figure out what we each as individuals can do to make our own future a little brighter. All the cliches apply here especially the sun will come out tomorrow. We might not be able to fix the ills of the world but we can work on ourselves. Woe is me is not helping. (and by the way I think that McCain's advisor saying that we have become a nation of whiners - well I can't believe I am saying this but I have to agree with him - although not in the context of his comment.)
Our grandparents didn't lick their wounds, they did what they could do to reverse their fortunes by whatever means necessary with back breaking work and sacrifice. And now it is our turn. The way I see it we don't have any more time to waste.
Here is my manifesto:
I choose to be happy.
I will make sound judgements to correct whatever issues I am facing.
I will make positive strides everyday to correct the issues I face - one step at a time.
I know that some people are facing huge obstacles, much larger than I hope to ever know but it is what you do to overcome those obstacles that matters!
So - are you with me?

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I am with you. We know three couples that are losing their homes. Guess what? They will tell you themselves that it's because they made bad decisions. One couple bought a house WAY over their head and they learned the lesson that just because a lender will approve for a jumbo loan, doesn't mean you should take advantage of it. Another couple made some bad business decisions against the advice of many advisors and the result is they lost both their business and their home.

NO....you are not promised a rose garden or a 6,000 sq. ft. home. A lot of people have not paid attention or prepared for something other than a gung ho economy. Having been through MANY downturns I can tell you it's inevitable and you should be prepared for it.

Another point I'll make is that the constant negative coverage creates a panic scenario and like you have suggested the negativity continues to breed on itself.

Good post.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife